Owner’s representative for Bucyrus renovation and expansion
South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Bucyrus International, (BI) selected The Sigma Group as their owner’s representative for the design and construction of their manufacturing corporate headquarters renovation and expansion project. The four-year multi-phased project included the following improvements to their more than 70-acre heavy manufacturing campus in South Milwaukee:
- Abatement and demolition of 12 structures totaling approximately 220,000 square feet (SF) including site demolition of associated infrastructure piping, rail lines and pavements.
- Renovation and abatement of four manufacturing structures totaling approximately 460,000 SF.
- New construction of approximately 340,000 SF of heavy manufacturing space for weld / fabrication, assembly, machine shop and warehouse operations.
- Foundation installation and processing piping improvements for new heavy manufacturing machining center equipment and overhead cranes.
- Renovation of approximately 140,000 SF of office space including corporate offices, work station upgrades and common area upgrades.
- Abatement and renovation of approximately 22,000 SF of former manufacturing space into 10,000 SF of museum and 12,000 SF of general assembly / cafeteria space.
- Approximately 20 acres of site paving for manufacturing operations and parking.
- Approximately 24 acres of outdoor manufacturing storage yard.
- Upgrades to infrastructure utilities (sanitary, storm, water, electrical and process piping), new rail lines, switches and rail scale.
- Updated landscaping, fencing, lighting and signage throughout the site.
Services provided by Sigma include:
- Monitoring and review of the design and construction activities to maintain schedule and budget bi-weekly owner/architect/contractor meetings.
- Programming and planning for various project phases.
- Reviewing contract scope of services, schedules and costs for various elements of design and construction for the overall project.
- Reviewing design and construction documents (award recommendations, change orders) to meet project description and program intent.
- Preparing and reviewing monthly progress reports and making presentations to owner management group project status.
- Assist owner with coordinating construction activities with ongoing manufacturing operations.
- Coordinated overall project commissioning, training and start-up.